Yahoo! recently listed the top 10 most popular new shows. Here's my take on it...
1. Kid Nation - Yahoo! states that lots of people are trying to find out more about the controversy surrounding the conditions on set for the kids. I think that interest will make this a highly viewed premiere, but I'm willing to bet that interest will die into the second or third episode.
2. Bionic Woman - Who can resist a hot chick who kicks butt? I'll bet the viewers of this show have the same names as many of the viewers of Alias. I don't think my father's generation will find favor with this show. This ain't no Lee Majors.
3. Gossip Girls - Never heard of it. Yahoo! states that this is the number 3 most searched new show. I guess it's all the rage amongst 17 year old girls.
4. The Big Bang Theory - Great premise, but I think the casting will be the end of this show. Nerds are funny (see Chuck below) but not these nerds. Even though the characters lack social skills, you gotta find actors with presence. If the previews are any indication of the actor's presence, these kid's ain't got it. Anyone can read lines, and this show proves it.
5. Reaper - The premise looks okay, but it needs some work. I haven't seen any previews, only the picture and description on Yahoo! A show about a less than brilliant guy and his even-dimmer side-kick? No thanks. I'll bet these guys fall @$$-wards into success at every turn.
6. Moonlight - This looks like it may create a cult following. If you liked X-Files or 24, I'll bet you'll like this one.
7. Cane - If this ends up being an evening soap, I won't be surprised (and I won't be watching). I like Jimmy Smits, but he won't have Aaron Sorkin helping him here.
8. Chuck - This is the show to watch. Great premise, great casting. These guys seem to have a good sense of humor about themselves. I'll be on the sofa for this one.
9. Private Practice - This certainly won't be a spin-off with the legacy of The Jefferson's or Frazier. Kate Walsh should take a lesson from McLean Stevenson. Being a part of an all star cast doesn't mean you can roll on your own... especially when the casting department is willing to give Amy Brenneman another chance.
10. Caveman - Are you kidding me? The commercial was painfully unforgettable... which is good for a brand inspiring commercial (will you ever forget about Geico when you're on the moving walkway at an airport?). But, commercials are only 30 seconds long. A half hour of the cavemen? I'd rather watch Dude, Where's My Car? again.